Tuesday, August 21, 2007

It was "THIS" big...

For Father's Day this year, we gave AJ's dad and my dad each a gift certificate for a half-day fishing trip. Yesterday, AJ took the day off and was able to go fishing with both of our dad's in the morning. Let me tell you....it was an experience leading up to the actual trip. For weeks (I kid you not) AJ would check the fish reports to see how much fish the morning boat and afternoon boats were bringing in, and how many people were on the boat and the kind of fish that each boat brought in. It was actually really fun to see him so excited to spend time with both of our dad's. And to be honest...my dad and AJ's dad weren't much better. They would also check the fish reports and they pulled out their rods and reels and made sure that everything was prepped. Unfortunately the day wasn't quite as productive, or rewarding as I think any of them had hoped. They didn't have much luck actually landing a fish, although they each got a few bites on the line. Unfortunately, I guess the seals were very adept at biting the bait fish off of their line without causing any sort of tug on the line at all. They apparently have learned to follow the boats and get their lunch the easy way.

So, this was the end result of a few hours on a boat:

Not too bad, but definitely not even close to what they were hoping for at the same time, either. However, AJ was able to spend some much needed time off of work as well as hanging out with both his dad and my dad. Overall, I'd say it was a pretty productive trip, for that reason alone. Plus it set up something that will hopefully become a tradition, especially since AJ has fond memories of when he was younger and he would go fishing with his Grandpa Smith. We were talking about the times that he was able to go with him, and the first thing that he said was the he wished that they had gone more. I remember being younger and going fishing on occasion with my dad, and while it might not have been a "girlie" thing too do, none of my sisters, nor I, were really "girlie girls" and it was actually a lot of fun. I can't wait until Keegan is old enough to make the kind of memories that AJ has with his grandpa, with both of our dad's as well as AJ.

Because really, these pictures are just way too cute:

I love how AJ looks a little like Gilligan, and how in his mind the fish he caught was "THIS" big, when really it was "THIS" big. And, the relationship that AJ has with his grandpa, as a result of growing up so close to him and being able to fish and do other things with him, is absolutely amazing. As his grandpa gets older, and old age and dementia set in, there are some days where he doesn't seem to remember much, but at the same time, he always seems to know who AJ is. I want that kind of relationship for Keegan (and any other future kids) and his grandpas, because really, family is what life is all about and what really brings us happiness in life (if you don't believe me, just read this).

So here's to "male bonding", future fishing trips with dads and grandpas, and stories of fish "THIS" big, and "THE ONE" that got away, as well as the occasional surfing lesson (yes, my dad tried surfing for the first time the other day when we went to the beach after they got back from fishing. Someone should ask him how it went!). Maybe they'll even let the women join them on occasion.

1 comment:

Maxwell (Mad)House said...

I always loved fishing with my dad. I guess I have never been that girlie either:) I love the Daddy son traditions though, they melt my heart!