Monday, August 13, 2007

God Bless the USA

This past Friday and Saturday, AJ, Keegan and I all ventured down to Ensenada, Mexico with some of AJ's friends for a quick (and by quick, I really mean lightning fast) surf trip. AJ did the same thing last year with the same group of guys and had a lot of fun, so they decided to do it again, and this year Keegan and I got to come along.

I have to admit, I was a little nervous taking Keegan, especially since we were going to be camping, and he hadn't ever really done it before, but seriously the little guy is a trooper. He did great. We didn't leave Friday night until about 8:30, which was definitely not the best, or even the original plan, but unfortunately that is just how things worked out. Keegan actually slept most of the way, and at least allowed us to get past all the craziness of Tijuana (seriously it's frightening driving through that place...cars, and people, just come out of nowhere) before he woke up and wanted to eat. I hate to say it, but I pulled him out and fed him while AJ drove. Definitely not something we do on a regular basis, but the little guy was SCREAMING, and it's just so said and heartbreaking to hear. Once he had a full belly, however, he was great....and also very wide-awake. He stayed up the entire rest of the way to our campsite, and then just watched as we got everything set up. I think he finally fell asleep at about 11:30 or midnight, and thankfully slept until 6:30 or so. I think the sound of the waves kept him blissfully sleeping. The rest of the trip for us was spent in the following ways:


(Thanks mom for the use of your Pack 'N Play. It worked out great!)


(thank goodness for astroturf so Keegan could crawl around when he was sick of the pack n play)













(yes I put my son's hair in an elastic headband...it was too funny not too! You can see how he feels about it.)


(Believe it or not...that is AJ out there. The zoom on my camera sucks)













Overall, it was a great trip. It defintely made me appreciate all of the safety, freedom and luxury, really, that we have here in America. It's amazing how different life is just a few short hours away. Getting back through the border totally SUCKED (it took us 3 1/2 hours....3 1/2 HOURS!!!!....and that was already after an hour and a half drive back to the border). The guy at our booth at the border was just really not in any sort of hurry to let anyone through. But, we didn't have to worry about getting pulled over (like our friends did...that's a funny story for another post), and we made it safely there at back, Keegan was a trooper (and only had to be fed in the car a couple of times), AJ got to surf a little bit (although the water was colder there than here in San Diego), we saw a pod of 8 dolphins just swimming back and forth in the water in front of where we were camping, and I got to spend some quality time with my little family. Really, it doesn't get much better than that.

1 comment:

Maxwell (Mad)House said...

Somehow in another country, different rules apply to children and cars. Things that I would never be okay with in the States somehow flew in the Dominican Republic or here in Mexico.