Friday, August 10, 2007

Black Thumb/Green Thumb

So, it's not really much of a secret that I can't keep plants alive (or maybe that is something that you didn't know about me). Seriously, I have a major black thumb. I received a lovely pot of 3 different kinds of Orchids from AJ's parents for my birthday last year and was able to keep it alive for about 2.5 seconds before I had to return it back to AJ's Dad in order for him to resuscitate it (thankfully, it's recovered quite nicely and is currently enjoying an extended stay at AJ's parents place). I still blame it on the heat of our apartment (although I really know that's not true), but whatever. This is me, after all. I even managed to kill a cactus once...that's right, a CACTUS, which is supposedly a plant that is pretty much unkillable. I mean, hello, it thrives in the desert, where there isn't much water and there is way too much sun, but yeah, I managed to kill one. Again, I don't think that it was totally my fault, since it was in my office at CSUF, where there were no windows to the outside world, but still.

Thankfully, for me, I married someone who has a green thumb, which is why I have these lovelies to enjoy:

If you have ever been to Hawaii, you know how pretty the plumeria are. AJ's parents have a bunch of bushes/trees along the entire side of their house, and we have been lucky enough to take some of the cuttings and transplant them at our house. Most of them are still in pots for the moment, but that's okay.

Oh yeah, and we have these:



Which will hopefully one day result in a bunch of these:

(and yes, we grew this one, too. This is actually the second of two pineapples that we have grown. So tasty!).

And this plant:

which is currently helping block some of our neighbors ugly back yard (it's grown since this picture was taken), and which will someday provide us with bunches of these:



And then there are these...

which really, I'm not sure if they will produce coconuts or not, but they are fun to look at, and will one day (soon) provide Keegan with just one more way of getting into mischief. So while the rest of my backyard needs some work, I'm glad that we've got some lovely plants to enjoy for now (and these aren't even all of the plants we are currently growing...I'm telling you...AJ's a farmer/gardener at heart).


Three cheers for the green thumb in my family...

1 comment:

Maxwell (Mad)House said...

I believe that you are growing a little Hawaii in your backyard. Maybe I should do that with the rock piles that are my front and backyards!