Thursday, October 18, 2007

Inadequate

WARNING...this is going to be kind of a long, "woe is me" post, but since this is one of the few ways that I have to get out my feelings, it's the only option I have...you can totally skip this if you want. I won't be offended, I promise.

Have you ever had the feeling that you just don't quite measure up to those around you? That while you might be giving it your best effort, your best will still not be good enough in the end and that you should just quit while you are ahead, relatively speaking? That's kind of how I've been feeling the past few days...well, weeks, if I'm really being honest with myself.

I'm constantly looking at the other moms in my ward, that I just randomly run into while I'm out running errands, or that I find online through their blogs, and I'm constantly finding myself falling short. You would think after almost 9 months I would have a better handle on this whole mother thing. That I would be able to understand more what Keegan needs, instead of having to try 5 or 6 different things before I finally get it right; that I would be able to handle more than just taking a shower everyday and that I would be able to actually do my hair, put makeup on and look presentable every day, instead of just on Sundays which is the way things stand right now. You would think that despite the fact that I gained 50 pounds with this pregnancy, I would have managed to lose more than just the initial 30 pounds that I lost immediately after Keegan was born, and yet I haven't (and I even think I've managed to put back on a pound or two, which makes it even worse). You would think that I would be better at getting Keegan and I dressed and out of the house every day, and for more than just running to the store to get milk, or to the bank to deposit a check; that we might actually be going to the park, or the beach, or the zoo, or a million and one other things that this city has to offer, and yet, day in and day out, it doesn't happen. It seems like everyone I know with kids manages to do these simple things, and yet I can't seem to pull it together and do it myself, and I can't help but wonder "Why not?"

As I write this, Keegan is sitting in his high chair in the other room watching one of his "Signing Time" videos and munching on his 10th batch of Cheerios, because I have finally given up the struggle of trying to get him to eat anything else. For the past few days, all I've managed to get in him are a few bites of a pancake, a lot of dehydrated fruit, a couple of cereal bars, and a ton of Goldfish and Cheerios (along with formula and milk from me, when he's willing to nurse, and not bite me). Even though I know, deep down, that this is normal and ok, and that he will be fine (thanks Cynth, again, for reassuring me and making me feel a little better), I can't help but worry about him. Keegan gained a ton of weight right after he was first born and he had grown quite a few inches right at the beginning, and now that he's almost 9 months old and sitting at just over 20.5 pounds, I'm worried that he doesn't weigh enough, and that he's not "thriving" like he should be (and like I want him to be) and that I'm a total failure of a mom. He fights going down for his naps, something he didn't use to do, and he now fights going to bed, and once I do get him to sleep, when he does wake up again 5 hours later, he fights going back to sleep which results in an hour long struggle of me letting him cry, and then feeling guilty because he's crying and I'm not comforting him, so I go and get him and nurse him for a little while until he falls asleep, then I try and lay him in his crib, and he wakes up and the cycle starts all over again, until I finally give in and just let him lay in bed next to me, which doesn't exactly help me sleep soundly, although it does seem to let Keegan, which I guess should be good enough for the time being. I want to be able to change all of that, and yet I don't know how to.

There are so many moms that I know, who just seem so calm and relaxed and sure about this whole "parenting" thing, and I find myself so envious of that fact. Why can't I be that way? Why do I feel like I'm the typical comedic parody of a "mom" who's walking around looking like she is always stressed out, frustrated and half-dazed, with her bathrobe on, and hair ratted and snarled because she hasn't had the time to make herself look more presentable. This is not who I want to be...I never wanted to be the woman who was 25 pounds overweight, who barely makes it out of her pj's most days and who never seems happy, and who gets frustrated with her kids and her husband for seemingly no reason at all. This isn't the type of mom I want to be. I want Keegan (and any future children that we have) to have a mom who is fun, who plays with them and takes them to fun places, and explores with the, and who has it way more together than I currently do (although at this point, there really doesn't seem to be any place for me to go, but up). I know AJ worries about me and the fact that I don't get out of the house every day, and that I'm not as sociable as the other moms in the ward, and that I don't totally feel comfortable hanging out with all of the other moms in the ward (but really, I've never been super-sociable so I'm not sure why it bugs his so much now), which makes it all that much harder, because I feel like I'm even more of a failure.

Deep down, I know that I'm fine, or at least that I will be fine (kind of like Cristina and Meredith on "Grey's Anatomy" are "fine"), and that hopefully these feelings of inadequacy will pass, but I don't want to wait for that time to come. I want it to be easy now, and I want to stop feeling like I'm failing at this whole "mom" thing. I want my husband to not have to worry about me, and my son to get the sleep and nutrition that he needs, without putting up such a fight (and who knows, maybe it's because he's teething, AGAIN, and his mouth just makes it too painful to eat or sleep comfortably), and I want to be the calm, cool and relaxed mom, who has it all together. Is that really too much to ask for?

6 comments:

Mama Bear said...

Just so you know, no matter how pulled together and with it you might think another mom has it, guaranteed they also have days (and weeks) where they don't shower till 2:00 pm (if at all) the kids don't want to eat what's given them, the house is a mess, they don't work out, they worry about thier weight and they don't leave the house. No one is perfect, every mom/women out there has bad days where it all seems just a little too much. When it all starts to seem too overwhelming (as it sounds like it already is) just pick up your little man, hug him and love him and try and let everything else go. Crying is ok too! Any you always have sisters/moms/friends you can call on when you need someone to turn to - no reservation (or shower) required!

hoopesfam5 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hoopesfam5 said...

Maybe this feeling is hereditary? As I read your post, I felt like I was viewing a transcript of the thoughts that continuosly race through my little brain. I can't offer any solutions (that would require I had a clue of what I am doing), but all I can say is that I love you, your husband and son love you, and you are doing WONDERFULLY. You can't compare yourself to anyone else - everyone has their own baggage and struggles; personally, I wouldn't trade mine for anything. My struggles, my inadequacies, and my weaknesses are what make me who I am....ME..in all my imperfect glory. Keep your chin up, we ALL love you for YOU.

Ryan & Cynthia Clan said...

All I can say is THANK THE LORD you don't have to be a skinny social-butterfly to be a good mom. I, and about 75% of the population would be screwed. I don't hang out with any women in my ward with young kids cause honestly, I have nothing in common with them other than kids and that's not enough for me. I prefer to hang out and socialize with friends of MY choosing and you know, it's OK to be that way. I look at kids whose parents try to squeeze in too many activities and daily outings and they are no happier than my kids (who usually get 1 fun outing a week, other than that, they too are stuck with errands to the bank, grocery store, and post-office). And it's ok. Finn is great at having quiet time and can play by himself without waiting for me to entertain him - and I LOVE that he has an imagination! And he looks forward to the special outings when we get them rather than being bored by them. Just keep on loving and hugging that little guy. As long as he knows he is loved by you, then he will be a HAPPY, smart, fun-loving little guy. And like Julie said, even those women that seem to have it going on, they are more like the rest of us than you think. You might just be seeing them on their one "Sunday" where they look together. I love you - you are an AMAZING sister, mother to Keegs, wife to AJ, my friend, and more. XoXoXoXo

Maxwell (Mad)House said...

I am going to agree with your sister and say that felt a little bit like I was reading something that I had written. After two kids in less than two years I still have almost 30 pounds to lose (and Bright is 20 months). There are many days that we never leave the house and usually when we do it is to run an errand or two. I do not have what anyone would define as easy kids, they are so busy and so independent and although sometimes it drives me crazy, that is who they are and I am so grateful for them. I do not "fit in" with the ladies in the ward, and as your sister said I don't think that the fact that we have children is enough to make us friends (but again, never had a ton of girl friends....like to keep the ones I actually make:)) Quite often the house is messy, the kids are messy, I am messy and we have all had 100 calorie snack packs and protein shakes to eat all day because I cannot get anything else down their throats! I worry that I am not interacting with them enough or that I am too much, that they watch too much tv, that we should spend more time reading or playing outside or.....anyway. I have such a short fuse with all three of my boys quite often......etc., etc. Yet I have these moments like when the General Relief Society President was speaking about being a woman, a wife and a mother and both of my boys climbed up in my lap and then Parks sang along with "I am a Child of God" and I knew that the the Lord was aware that I am trying and that I can only be me and that is enough. I do not have all the answers, I am not sure I have any of them, but I do know that the only person we have to answer to is the Lord and as long as we are doing the best we can with the situation that we have at hand, that is ok. I don't know if my comment will help you at all, but I want to let you know that your blog helped me today, so thank you!
Love-
Steph

Our Family of 6 said...

I seriously have the best family and friends that anyone could possibly have. Thank you all for your comments and your calls. They helped tremendously (more than any of you will probably ever know!!!).