Tuesday, August 5, 2008

So Much for the Lazy Days of Summer....

I've always thought that summer was for relaxing and enjoying the nice weather and the time off from work, wchool, etc. Yeah, so much for that. We've got a busy few weeks ahead of us, and while I'm excited for all that is going on, since it will help keep my mind off of the whole "due date" issue, I can't help but get a little exhausted when I look at our calendar as well.

This past week, AJ had to go up LA to cover the X-Games for his boss who had to be here in San Diego for the Chargers football practice. His boss generously offered to get us a hotel room if Keegan and I wanted to go up with him and to get us (meaning Keegan and me since AJ had free-reign for the whole weekend) into some of the events (I guess it's one of the perks that goes with the job). I was pretty excited...we went with AJ last year and had a blast. In all my excitement, however, I forgot the fact that I was 3 1/2 weeks away from my due date, that AJ would be working which means that I had to entertain a very active 18-month-old on my own and that it was going to be STINKIN HOT in Los Angeles. Needless to say, it was a little bit harder than I thought it would be, but still totally worth it every time I caught a glimpse of the totally entranced look on my little boys face (needless to say, we have now created a monster who thinks that he is going to be allowed to skateboard, BMX bike, motorcycle ride, rally car drive, generally put his life in extreme danger of broken bones and stitches, etc. by the time he's 3). And it did give Keegan and I a chance to have some mommy and son time before we became a family of four, which is something that I have been trying to do more and more of, since I know that things will change once we add another little boy to this family, and that there will be difficult times as we all adjust to the chance.

Oh yeah, and we got to experience the stereotypical "I stayed in a flea-ridden hotel in Los Angeles" cliche. Mind you, we were at the Sheraton right by the airport (another thing that Keegan loved, since he got to watch airplanes take off and land to his hearts content) and not the Motel 6 in a red-light district, seedy part of town. It's a good thing that we didn't have to pay for the room...someone at corporate office would have received a nasty letter from me, and to be honest, I'm still considering sending one, especially when I look at Keegan's legs and see all of the healing bites (I managed to escape unscathed, thankfully). The lesson I learned from the experience....don't use the hotel cribs when you stay somewhere if you can absolutely avoid it. That's actually where I think the fleas were hanging out prior to being let loose in our room. SO GROSS!!!

Now we have a few weeks chock full of family visiting, friends visiting, renewing old friendships, the circus coming to town (I'm so excited for this one...I just need to remember to take the camera), trips to the zoo, to the wild animal park, to Sea World, to the park, a bathroom to complete (the cabinets have been ordered, the window will be ordered soon and tile is getting picked out this week), new projects to start (since we are moving the boys bedroom to a bigger one, but we want to put in better insulation first...and maybe paint if I can talk AJ into it), books to read, a baby to prepare for, oh yeah, and then the normal work/church/adult responsibility things. I can't wait!!! I love it. I can rest another time.

And just because I've had some requests for recent photos of the little guy, here are a couple of shameless ones because he's so stinkin' cute (and I recognize that I'm totally biased when I say that): (Keegan likes to have his hair done "just like daddy"...this is the result)

(one of the only times you will see a picture of me this pregnant. Try to ignore me and focus on the cute kid in my arms please)


(Keegan's favorite...the big air ramp for BMX and skateboard. At least, it was until the dirtbikes started up and then all he could say was "Vroom, Vroom, Vroom" for the rest of the day. He had already decided, by the way, that he was going to be allowed to ride all three of the aforementioned things...much to my fear and trepidation)

(such a serious expression for such a little boy)

3 comments:

Mama Bear said...

First - Keegan is the cutest little boy! I love how boy he got being around the dirt bikes.

Second - Eeeewwwww on the whole hotel incident. Are you sure the were fleas and not Bed Bugs?!?! I would still write a letter to thier Corp. Offices becuase your experience was seriously unacceptable and gross. Poor K!

And thanks for showing us a glimpse of you, 3 1/2 weeks before you are due, cause you are Beautiful! We can't want to see new baby bro! Any names yet?

valerie said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the photos - I only wish I could be there to welcome baby boy #2 into the world and help you out with things...hopefully November isn't too late in the game. I love you all!

Ryan & Cynthia Clan said...

You are so cute prego! I wish we had more pics of that. You should be proud of the fact you are carrying a cute little fella in that belly. Being preggers is awesome! Sounds like you had fun, but I would have marched down to the front desk and demanded a full refund. You should call corp like J said and complain as well as the BBB (Better Business Bureau) and reort the unsanitary conditions. They can be cited for stuff like that.