Thursday, August 21, 2008

Plans...Schmans...

When we were talking about whether or not to induce, a friend of mine commented that knowing her luck, she'd try and schedule a date and her baby would just end up coming when he/she wanted, without regards to the plans that have been made. I should have taken that to heart and considered it a warning.

So much for the best laid plans, because apparently my son wanted to let me know that the only schedule that mattered was the one that he was on and that it for sure did not have any room for negotiation. I really thought that we were safe...I mean, Keegan was 2 days past his 40-week due date, so I really didn't see a problem with scheduling to induce me 9 days before my due date this time around...and then my water broke Tuesday morning, changing all of our best laid, and carefully thought out plans (the ensuing scramble to get a hold of AJ, who was in surgery at the time, pack my hospital bag, try and prepare Keegan for everything that was to come and not completely lose it is pretty funny and entertaining now that I'm looking back on it...not so much at the time, but thanks to Becky, I made it through).

I guess that's what I get for thinking that I have any control over my life whatsoever, because here he is...a day earlier than his parents had planned, but not a moment too soon:

Camden Jay Durfee

Born: Aug. 19, 2008 at 3:56 p.m.

Weight: 8 lb. 13 oz. (although the nurses did say that he probably weighed more when he first came out, but they took so long cleaning him up and warming him up that he peed all over them and his blankets before they put him on the scale - serves them right for taking so long to get him into my arms).

Height: 21 inches

He gave us a little scare when he came out with the cord wrapped around his neck 3 times and once around his arm (hence the nurses taking so long checking him out), but he's a little fighter who has already asserted his independence. In some ways, this has been a much easier experience the second time around, and in other's it's been harder. It's an adjustment going from Keegan and his 25 pounds or so to this teeny, tiny little baby who doesn't even seem to weigh a pound. Sometimes, I feel like I'm learning this stuff all over again, but I have to admit, I'm loving every minute of it.

We are both already home from the hospital (they let us go yesterday, something I am forever grateful to my doctor for) and are slowly settling into life as a family of four. It was hard not being at home with AJ and Keegan for 2 days, but I have to say I got pretty spoiled having Camden pretty much all to myself for those 2 days. Keegan's doing ok, which is pretty good all things considered. He's still a little more attached to his dad right now, than to his mom, but he usually gets that way when he's had a lot of one on one dada time.

More pictures will come as we get them off of other people's camera (did I mention the fact that my bag wasn't packed?), as will the updates, but for now, here's the first official family photo (thanks Mom and Dad for having your camera there!):

On a somewhat different note...couldn't they be twins...or even triplets when you consider AJ's baby picture? I mean really...the family resemblance is kind of scary.

13 comments:

Sarah Livingston said...

Congradulations!! I am so impressed that you kept it together even though it was so crazy what a great story! You have an adorable family!

Sara said...

Congrats!! Have fun with your precious new baby!!

mjtraskfam said...

What a cutie pie! The similarities between your guys are crazy, talk about a resemblance. The story of your "unplanned" delivery was a crack up, a constant reminder in this life that moms are not in control (darn it :>)!! So glad everything turned out well for you all, miss you & congratulations!!

Maxwell (Mad)House said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am so jealous of a kid who decides to come early:) Bright had the cord wrapped around too and was purple/gray with bloodshot eyes and I was totally scared of him when they first gave him to me:) What a little cutie Camden is and wow they totally could be twins! I'm glad he was close to nine, after going nine then ten myself I was scared for you. Looking forward to more pictures of your adorable little guys!

Corpuz Family said...

Yeah what a cute little famiy! It was great running into in the very random parking lot! Congrats to you and your family!

Sweet Lady said...

Oh my god was that me that made the comment about the baby doing what it wanted anyway? Because I hope you know didn't wish it on you at all! Such a cutie. Congratulations!

tzennibah said...

Congrats!!!!! He is so cute.

valerie said...

I love him I love him I love him.
I love you I love you I love you.
Can't wait to see you at Thanksgiving!!

Mama Bear said...

Yah - we are so happy that everything worked out, even if it wasn't according to 'the plan' and that Camden (love the name) and mom are both healthy, happy and back home. Know we love you, love you, love you and can't wait to see you guys as well! Possibly in Novemeber . . we are trying to make it happen! Hugs and kisses to all of you from all of us!

Ben said...

Congrats!!! I should have read your blog before I created the last post on mine, but I like the name Camden. I love you guys and hope all is well.

Kary Ann Hoopes Photography said...

Congrats Durfee family. Camden is a darling name and looks just like the other men. A bit fun how that works, huh? Anyway congrats!

Sweet Lady said...

On a separate note, mad props to you for blogging even though you have two TWO babies at home. Do you just forgo sleep altogether and blog at dawn or what?!

Ryan & Cynthia Clan said...

I'm back in the real world once again. Camden is so cute and I love the name. You look great. Wish my baby weight would come off as quickly as yours. It's 18 months later and I still look 5 months preggo. Oh well. You got the better genes in the family. Also, I thought Keegs was a little more AJ when he was born, but I think Camden looks a bit more like you did/do. We love you guys!