Tuesday, July 8, 2008

To Induce or Not To Induce...

that is the question (for the moment at least). Some of you are probably thinking, "but you are only 32 weeks along and still have two months to go, why are you worrying about that right now". The thing is, I really hadn't even thought about it. Granted, I've joked with friends that I'm already done being pregnant this time around (especially when they told me that based on the last ultrasound measurements that they took of him on Thursday he weighs anywhere from 4 1/2 to 5 pounds ALREADY), but I truly recognize the importance of letting this baby "cook" for as long as he needs so that he can be as healthy as possible, as well as the importance of letting him come when he's ready to, and not necessarily on my schedule.

However, I also recognize that this time around there are a couple of things that I need to take into consideration...like who is going to watch Keegan as well as what AJ's work schedule is going to be like at the end of August (especially since I am due right at the beginning of the football season, not only for the Chargers, but also for the high schools and colleges that he works with). It would be a whole lot easier knowing exactly what day I'll be delivering rather than having to call AJ at work or the hospital out of the blue and the possibility of him not being able to get away right then. It would also be a whole lot easier to set up Keegan's babysitter ahead of time, rather than having to call someone at the last minute to watch him. Plus, that would give me a deadline to try and prepare him for all the changes that will be happening.

It's totally my OB/GYN's fault. When I was talking to her at my last appointment about some questions I had regarding my delivery, etc. since I didn't deliver with this particular office the last time around (although I really wish that I had) she mentioned that if I wanted to be sure that she was the doctor that would deliver me, she had no problem scheduling my induction. I don't know if she did this because she had just agreed the week before to induce my friend and she knew that I knew that, or if she just wanted to reassure me that she was willing to be there to deliver baby #2 (who is still nameless, unfortunately), or because she's just a totally cool doctor who is willing to consider her patients desires (unlike my former doctor who absolutely REFUSED to even discuss inducing me until I had reached 41 weeks...thankfully Keegan came at 40 weeks and 2 days, because I was really done at that point). Whatever her reasons behind the offer, it's given both AJ and I a lot to think about.

Unfortunately, I'm at the point in this pregnancy where I can't make a decision to save my life, or once I've made a decision, I end up changing my mind later, or not liking the final outcome (which is why our bathroom still isn't done yet, and why I no longer like the color that we painted in both our bedroom as well as the boys bedroom...although that was the last pregnancy's fault. Word to the wise...don't pick out paint colors when you are pregnant and only a month away from delivering).

Maybe it's a good thing I still have 2 more months to go.

6 comments:

Mama Bear said...

Induce - Baby - Induce!! It makes it soooooo much easier knowing when you are going to have baby #2 and can plan for care for K and work with AJ's schedule.

Heavens, you could even take a nice leasurly shower before the whole thing takes place, since we know that won't happen very often once Peanut #2 arrives.

It's nice to hear that your OB is one who listens to the mom's needs and isn't so focused on thier own particular way of doing things. I mean it is YOUR pregnancy and YOUR body and you should have some say in how it all plays out.

Hugs and kisses - oh and we are trying to think of possible names for you, we just haven't come up with anything yet.

Sweet Lady said...

If I were pregnant and set up a "baby delivery appointment" I think my baby would probably mess with me by coming extra early. That's how people in my family are!

Have you seen that documentary, "The Business of Being Born"? It discusses some of the pros/cons of induction, but also the pyschological aspects and the reasons doctors tend to like it as an option. It was made by Ricki Lake and it details her own experiences (first baby in hospital w/drugs, second baby at home w/no drugs). I never thought I could be into hippy dippy "no drugs" births, but the film makes an interesting case. That being said, I still can't see myself doing it at home! Too granola for me. This was the first movie about birth that didn't make me want to join a convent and never have babies ever. The births were so beautiful. Check it out. Hope all is well!

Ryan & Cynthia Clan said...

I have been induced both times: Finley at 41 weeks - I was one huge over-cooked momma. Berlin at 39 weeks because my Dr. was going out of town and wanted to deliver her. So I don't know anything else. Honestly though, I wish my Dr. had been willing to induce both of them at 38 weeks. I think it would have saved myself alot of the baby weight, most of which was gained the last 3 weeks of my pregnancy. It's selfish, but hey, we are the ones who have to deal with it, and I think 38-39 weeks gives the babies plenty of time to grow healthy. So that's my two cents.

I can't wait to hear when the little guy comes. Also, good luck with names. I hope you are having more luck (or inspiration). Love you!

Maxwell (Mad)House said...

I was induced both times. Parks late and Bright at 39 weeks. My doctors would let you go a week early with any child after your first and I am so thankful I did. Since he was ten pounds a week early, I am glad I did not wait to see how big he got if he ever came on his own:) I am all for inducing....although apparently this time I will be scheduling a c-section!

mjtraskfam said...

I've only been induced, so I can't compare, but I had a great experience. My doctor will induce anytime after 38 weeks, he says the baby just gets bigger & it makes the delivery harder for the mom, I love him! I wasn't planning it, but the holiday was coming & he was going to be out of town the week prior my due date, so we induced. It was relaxed & nice to plan it out, especially since I worked up until the day & packed my bag right before we left . . . oops! We went in late the night before & he gave me a pill to help get the body ready, we both slept that night & they started things up early in the morning, but I still slept in the early stages too. I'd always heard that an induced labor was harder, & maybe that's true, but mine wasn't bad at all & as my doc put it, it's called labor for a reason . . . it's not meant to be easy. Hope you're feeling well & we've gotta meet up sometime! Love ya!!

Sara said...

So far the comments are in the unanimous and I'm only going to add to that fact. I LOVE LOVE LOVE being induced and have nothing bad to say about having it done. I say go for it if that's what you'd really like to do!