Friday, May 15, 2009

Honeymoons and Siblings

I've been reading a lot of books lately. My library card is starting to look almost as worn out at my zoo pass and my debit card (the two most used cards in my wallet these days). I've always been a reader...thanks to my mom, but lately, I've really gotten back into it again (much to the chagrin of my husband, I'm sure, since I usually stay up late to read instead of going to bed like the responsible adult that I should be). I read books on all subjects - vampires, potty-training, romances, historical figures, wars, you name it, I've probably read a book on it at one time or another (being an English minor helped this effort to some degree).

But I digress...this post isn't about all of the books I've been reading...it's more about one particular book and all of the memories and thoughts that this book has inspired. The book that I just finished is titled "Honeymoon with My Brother" by Franz Wisner. It's been on my "to read" list for a while and when I saw that the library had it, I requested it right away. The book is a memoir of the time that Wisner spent traveling around the world with his younger brother, that he didn't really know, after he was left at the altar by his fiancee. During his travels, Wisner learned a lot about himself, about his brother and about the world in general. While I will never have the opportunity to take 2 years of my life to travel around the world visiting 53-different countries, I have had the pleasure of spending some time seeing the world with two of my sisters (at different times) and this book brought those memories back to the front of my mind and made me want to dust off the old passport and pack a backpack and see the world some more (so for all my siblings who might be reading this...if you want to go, let me know!) :) The fact that AJ has been doing a little globe-trotting for work lately (and is getting ready to leave for another 5 days in London) hasn't helped the situation much, either, because lately I've been reflecting on the three "honeymoons" that I have been able to take (so far) in my life.


The first "honeymoon" I ever took was with my sister Cynthia. Like most siblings, growing up Cynth and I had our differences, but as we moved away from home and got a little space and perspective (and maturity) we've managed to forge a friendship along the way. When she asked me if I wanted to travel with her around England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales shortly after she graduated from BYU, I jumped at the chance. While our trip wasn't inspired because of something like being left at the altar, on my part at least, it was inspired by the need to do something more with my life. I was turning 25, I still wasn't done with school, I wasn't necessarily loving my job (and I had a lot of vacation and sick time that needed to get used) and I was just generally looking for a break...a vacation from the rest of my life. It was the best time of my life...I loved being able to spend long hours on trains actually getting to know my sister. I loved that I got to see her relationship with my brother-in-law from the very first stages of "eternal bliss". I loved watching her in the act of falling in love and being able to see that side of her, as we searched for "Alice in Wonderland" postcards in Oxford so that she could send them to Ryan (it's one of his favorite stories, if I remember correctly). I loved getting the chance to connect on an adult level, away from all the pettiness and hormonally-charged emotions of teen angst. It was great discovering that even though we have differences of personality and opinion, on some levels we are still very much alike. I would never trade those two weeks for anything and I'd do that trip all over again, in a heartbeat, if she asked me too, because on that trip my sister became more to me than just family, she also became my friend.


After being bitten by the travel bug, the following year, I was able to experience my second "honeymoon" and spent a week in Paris, France (one of my "must-see before I die" places in the world) visiting my younger sister, Valerie, while she was there spending the semester studying abroad. This time, a lot of this trip was spent on my own. Val had the place where she was staying for the semester, so I had my own hotel room, and while she was in class (doing the student thing) I was able to explore Paris on my own (something that terrified and yet excited me at the same time). I spent the better part of 3 days exploring the Louvre and all of the art and treasures that it has to offer. I wandered the streets of Paris, checking out the sights and the sounds and the smells of one of my favorite cities (I don't care what most of the world might think to the contrary). I perused museums, bookstores, shops, parks, churches and was even asked directions by other tourists (and I was actually able to respond and send them in the right direction), and I got to learn a little more about my sister because not all of my time was spent in solitude. Some of it was spent enjoying some ridiculously yummy hot chocolate at Angelique's (right by the Louvre) and amidst the gardens and gilded halls of an amazing palace and in coming to the realization that my little sister was no longer "little"...she was my equal, in many ways, and in some ways, my superior. She is daring and brave and adventurous and intelligent and absolutely amazing. She listened to me talk about "the one" and heard all of my fears about an acquaintance that was on the cusp of becoming something more (and that eventually turned into a proposal, a marriage and two kids and that is so much more than I could have ever dreamed "way back then"). She inspired me to be willing to take risks and to go after something more. Once again, my sister became something more than just family...she also became my friend.


The third "honeymoon" of my life was the one in the most traditional sense of the word (after all, a honeymoon is a period of blissful harmony). It is a honeymoon that still continues to this day and I have never been happier. I've been able to explore this life, wherever we might be, with my most favorite person of all time. I have grown, matured, and experienced life with my best friend, and I can't wait for our honeymoon to continue for an eternity to come.


So here's to honeymoons (whomever they may be with) and family and experiencing all that life has to offer. Anyone up for an adventure?

1 comment:

Ryan & Cynthia Clan said...

just got this book from the library. Can't wait to read it! I'm so glad that we had our little honeymoon together :)