Friday, September 26, 2008

It's Potty Time

Yep, that's right. AJ and I are now embarking on a journey into unchartered territory (at least for the two of us). We are starting to potty train Keegan (and for those of you who really don't want to read a post about pee and poop, I totally understand, and feel free to skip the remainder of this post).

Keegan learned the sign for "potty" forever ago, but I don't think that he really made the correlation between the sign and actually doing it until recently. He's been telling AJ every night for the past week or so when he's been in the bath that he's needed to go to the bathroom (and to be fair, AJ has been telling and showing him for months how "big boys" go to the bathroom). So, AJ started taking him out of the tub and sitting him on the toilet and Keegan's loved it! Apparently he's a little backward, since he loves to poop on the toilet and he's really good about telling us when he needs to now (especially since I've begun bugging him a billion times a day about whether he has to go or not), but he doesn't really tell me when he has to pee, which is why he's still in diapers for the moment. Personally, I think some of the appeal was that daddy would give him high-5's every time he did something in the toilet, and I gave him a dum-dum today, and that he got to use his special green soap to wash his hands when he was done, but it's a start and we'll take what we can get.

That being said...for my readers that have been through this before, I'm looking for any words of wisdom, advice, suggestions, etc. that you can give me. Since he's already used to sitting on the toilet we aren't going to get him his own separate one (because I really don't want to have to empty it to be honest) and are just going to get a step stool to help him get on the toilet. I have been told to not use pull-ups, as they tend to provide a safety net for the kids sometimes, and a friend of mine did the whole "7 days with the kid being buck naked from the waist down" way, and it worked, but she has wood floors and I have carpet everywhere so her messes were a whole lot easier to clean-up. We did go out and buy him some "big boy underwear" today, but I'm not sure he really understood what we were buying, or what it means. He is only 20 1/2 months, afterall. So, what's worked for you? What didn't work? I'm all ears.

No comments: